.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A name I was unfamiliar with...

Upaya quotes Virgil Storr today and it's worth a read:
Let me make the point another way. If I were to walk into a room full of people and rob them at gun point, it's unlikely that I'd be able to convince them that now, after my crime, we should respect each others property rights and only engage in voluntary exchanges going forward. And even if I were to convince them, perhaps by gun point as well, they're not likely to be happy about it. Certainly, any moral case for establishing a free market that I attempted to make in that room under those circumstances would be sensibly rejected.

The Enrons, the Bechtels, the WorldComs and their champions in the Republican Party want free trade even less than the Steel Workers Unions and the Greenpeaces do. Why? Because markets are the only effective check on corporate greed, corporate excesses, corporate profits and corporate power. Being pro-business is not synonymous with being pro-markets; in fact, those two positions are diametrically opposed to each other.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gabriel Mihalache said...

The first part of the quote makes me thing about the tit-for-tat strategy in Games Theory... you need a round in which both players abstain from harming each other before they can get tit-for-that going (if I see you didn't harm me, I won't harm you; if I saw you harmed me I'll harm you back).
If you harm someone, e.g. at gun point, you must expect that you have *at least* one penalty to receive from them. You can't expect to go into step-by-step cooperation without getting your deserved punishment.

As for the second part... there are many types of businesses. Large corporations are State entities (their status, including limited accountablity is made possible by State's laws)... we call "business" both market entities such as genuine enterprises but also these State auxiliaries (they have *some* authonomy but they're usually in bed with the State in more ways than one).

Pro-business is pro-market if and only if you restrict the proper use of the word business to entities with full liability and no ties with the State (no common people, no "interest groups", no financing from the State, not doing work for the State, etc.)

7:21 PM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

Great quote! Thanks to MDM for calling my attention to this guy.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home